Saturday, July 30, 2011

Are you two brothers??


My goodbye with Mom and Brian was eased by the fact that my other brother, Will, would be staying with me for 3 more weeks. Unlike the visit with my family which was back to back with plans and schedules, these 3 weeks with Will were much more open and tranquilo, these being euphemisms for slightly slow and boring. Through the span of his 5 weeks here, Will got to experience the full spectrum of my life here, with its highs and lows, sun and rain, social outings and down times, endless chatter and silence.
A majority of our time in Paraguay, we spent in Natalio at my house. We would wake up every morning at 7 to the clanging, hammering, as well as singing of the construction workers next door. (Whyyy does everything have to start at or before 7 AM?!?!?!?!) Our days were usually centered around one specific event, and we spent the rest of the time bumming around. Since I conveniently broke my Internet modem the day my family arrived, we were left with an even more genuine Peace Corps experience seeing as we were cut off from our source of contact, information and entertainment. Will went through quite a few Sudoku books, and I spent lots of time reading and writing. As you can imagine, the best part though were the countless thoughtful, inquisitive conversations that we had. Seeing as we haven't lived together in over 6 years, it was great having the liberty of time to kind of get to know more deeply the people we have each become.
We also watched a lottt of movies! My best bud Erik is constantly switching around movies and TV shows with other Volunteers and has stocked my Mac with a very extensive collection. (It is nothing compared to his external hard drive though!) We made it through all 7 Harry Potters, a majority of Planet Earth, and a couple classics such as Talladega Nights and The Hangover. One of the most interesting movies we watched was Restrepo, a documentary on the war in Afghanistan. It was one of those long conversation starters, and we both found ourselves unsure as to what to feel. Ironically enough this coincided with the killing of Osama Bin Laden, which we discovered in the cyber cafe, giving us yet another topic to discuss. On that same day, I had gone out for a run and ran into the 2 Mormons in my town. When I stopped to say hi to them, I commented to my fellow American the news, seeing as they are limited to even less Internet access than me. The American Mormon made some weird comments in response; then we said bye, and I continued on my run. I was already a couple blocks away when I realized it -- the Mormon had thought I said OBAMA was killed!! In a state of panic, I turned around immediately, running through the streets asking people where the Mormons had gone. When I hadn't found them, I had to finish my run with a guilty conscience. "The poor guy thinks our president has been assassinated, and it's all my fault!" One block from my house in a rush to tell Will about the misunderstanding, and who do I conveniently see but my suit-sporting friends waiting for me on the corner. Apparently they too had realized the mistake and had come to clear up the confusion. We laughed and laughed, and Will was craaacked when I got home and told him.
Luckily we didn't spend everyday holed up in my house. We had lots of invitations for social events, lunches, terere dates, and birthday parties. "Wili" as he soon came to be called in town, was such a charmer with the Paraguayans! Although they couldn't really understand each other, Wili came to make many friends. Despite the language barrier, the kids loved to play with him, and the adults loved to joke with him. On the day of the Paraguayan soccer rivalry game, Will quickly chose Olimpia as his team and cracked everyone up at the lunch table when he refused to drink cerveza from a Cerro glass. One man came to love him, asking him what he thought of the Paraguayan women and then offering to lend him his car to go riding around town if he wanted. It was hilarious watching him play soccer with Pipo and Diego, them constantly yelling instructions to him in Spanish and him just running around.


To split up our time in Paraguay, we had planned a 5-day trip to the southern tip of Argentina, Patagonia. Being lovers of mountains and snow, we were pretty excited for our trip, but once we arrived in El Calafate, our expectations were highly exceeded. Pointy snow-capped mountains, turquoise lakes, vibrant fall leaves sprinkled with snow; we were in heaven. We found a tiny 4-room charming hotel called Hospedaje Lautaro owned by a young Argentine family. When we were checking in the woman, Belen, asked, "Are you 2 brothers?" and we laughed and said yes. They were wonderful hosts, greeting us every morning with a homemade breakfast and giving us honest and helpful tourist information. The base town for our trip was El Calafate, a charming small mountain town that reminded us of Blowing Rock. We walked around the Laguna and got to see a flock of flamingoes! We enjoyed delicious Argentine food; Will was addicted to the cheeseburgers, and I had a weakness for all the coffee and desserts!


We loved El Calafate, but we didn't travel to Patagonia for Argentine cuisine and shopping! The most incredible part of our trip was the 2 days we spent in the Parque Nacional Los Glaciares. Wili being the outdoorsman that he is led us on a 5 hour hike deep into the park. The exercise in the snow was exhilarating, and the natural beauty was breathtaking. I believe the pictures speak for themselves.

After winding and climbing through the rivers, inclines, and lookouts, we made it to our campsite at the base of Mount Fitz Roy right before sunset. We were the only ones choosing to camp in the snow, and we quickly tucked ourselves into our sleeping bags before we got too cold. We shared a pleasant dinner of peanut butter tortillas and then enjoyed a 2 hour pillow talk before dozing into the night. We woke up the next morning, packed up and made our way back into town. After lunch with a tall waterfall in the background, we enjoyed the warmth of a coffee shop and boarded the bus back to El Calafate right as the rain arrived. Perfect timing.


Our last day, we ventured out to see the Glaciar Perito Moreno, the tourist attraction of El Calafate. The closer we got, the more we realized why it was so popular. The immensity of the glacier was so humbling! Its surface area is bigger than Buenos Aires, and it's about 250 feet tall. As you stand gazing at it, you then hear and see pieces breaking off and remember that it is a river of ice that is constantly moving and changing. Set against a backdrop of purple mountains and clear water, we were blown away by the beauty even when we took our eyes off of the glacier. Nature is so powerful!

The next day we reluctantly returned to Paraguay, sad to leave the comfort of the mountains. But we arrived back in Natalio just in time for some festivities! For Will's birthday (May 15th), we were supposed to celebrate Paraguay's Bicentennial, but unfortunately it rained so everything was canceled. Instead we celebrated it the following day at my friend Felicia's house. It also was her niece and nephew's birthday so we had a big asado lunch, complete with chipa guasu and cake. We stuck around for a while after lunch, and later made chipa with all the women. They pretty much laughed the entire time at Will's and my inability to knead the chipa dough; we were happy to give them such entertainment. We came home with a bag full of chipa, and I think Will was happy to have an overload of his favorite Paraguayan food in his last days in Paraguay.


Seeing as Will's flight out was on the 20th of May, we decided to celebrate my birthday (the 19th) in Asuncion. We did a birthday dinner at TGIFriday's and enjoyed 2-for-1 burgers and brownies (241BBB). Friday morning we made it to the airport and waited in a pleasant 2 hour check-in line. Our goodbye was rushed so that Wili wouldn't miss his flight, and as I walked away, I felt a big sadness rush over me. It felt weird not having my buddy by my side; I was solita otra vez. But after learning many coping strategies in my time here, my tristeza had waned by the time I made it home, and I was ready to get back to work, back into a routine.
Having Willy here with me was wonderful, and I love dwelling on all the great memories of our time together! Te quiero mucho Wili!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment